State sponsor of terrorism: what this status means and changes
Most European countries and international organizations have recognized russia as a "terrorist state". Find out what this status means and how it can help Ukraine
The governments of many European countries and international organizations have recognized russia as a "terrorist state" in various forms. What does this status mean, and how can it help Ukraine?
What is the status of "state sponsor of terrorism"?
In fact, there is no single definition of the term "terrorist" in international law. However, the UN most often defines it as "criminal acts designed to create a climate of terror."
In order for "terrorists" to be able to acquire their appropriate status, a special mechanism has been developed in the world, and it has been worked out and approved to the maximum extent in the USA. The US Secretary of State can designate a country as a state sponsor of terrorism, which means that it supports the activities of terrorist organizations, acts of terrorism, and cyber terrorism.
What are the limitations of the "terrorist state" status?
Of course, this status has great symbolic and diplomatic significance. A country that has been recognized as a terrorist turns into an exile on the international stage, most states will refuse to cooperate with it, due to the risk of receiving international sanctions. A reduction in ties, joint programs, and strengthening of the country's diplomatic alienation is expected.
Also, the status entails a number of sanctions:
• prohibition of aid from the USA, including economic support;
• ban on the export and sale of ammunition;
• it will be illegal for US individuals and legal entities to participate in financial transactions with the government of a "terrorist state";
• inclusion in the "black list" of The Financial Action Task Force (FATF) is the blocking of bank accounts of "terrorist states" around the world;
• cancellation of judicial, executive, sovereign immunity - a "terrorist state" can be brought to justice in the courts of other countries of the world.
The general set of sanctions is unique and is developed separately in each case.
Which countries are currently on the US terrorist list, and how is the recognition process?
Currently, the list of "state sponsors of terrorism" includes North Korea, Syria, Iran and Cuba. Previously, Iraq, Libya, South Yemen and Sudan were also on the list.
The recognition process itself is quite simple and concise - the US Secretary of State makes and publishes the relevant decision. However, before that, a detailed analysis must be carried out, the decision must have a serious basis, which is confirmed by reports, reports and acts.
Countries that supported the recognition of russia as a "terrorist state"
European countries support the recognition of russia as a "terrorist state". Currently, this does not have tangible consequences for the strengthening of sanctions, but it clearly demonstrates the diplomatic position of the states:
• Parliament of Lithuania - May 10, 2022 - russia is a state that supports and carries out terrorism.
• Parliament of Latvia - August 11, 2022 - russia's violence against the civilian population is terrorism, and the Russian Federation itself is a sponsor of terrorism.
• PACE - October 13, 2022 - russia's current regime is terrorist.
• Parliament of Estonia - October 18, 2022 - the russian regime is terrorist, and the Russian Federation is a state-sponsor.
• The Upper House of the Polish Parliament - October 26, 2022 - russian authorities - terrorist regime.
• The lower house of the Czech parliament - November 15, 2022 - the current regime in russia is terrorist.
• European Parliament - November 23, 2022 - russia is a state sponsor of terrorism and a state that uses means of terrorism.
• Lower House of the Parliament of the Netherlands - November 24, 2022 - russia is a state sponsor of terrorism.
In order for the status of a "terrorist state" for the russian federation to contribute to the introduction of maximum sanctions, it must be approved by the US Secretary of State.
How will recognition of russia as a "state sponsor of terrorism" affect Ukraine?
First and foremost, this is a fair decision that is very important for the citizens of Ukraine. Also, the strengthening of sanctions, economic, financial and diplomatic isolation of russia will have a serious economic effect. Of course, this decision will strengthen Ukraine's negotiating position. And after all, no one among world leaders will want to publicly support a "state sponsor of terrorism."
Christmas merch from Visit Ukraine: spend the holiday with taste
New Christmas merch collection from Visit Ukraine - your patriotic look and the perfect holiday gift for family or friends
14 Dec. 2022More details
Will there be a nuclear strike on Ukraine: the authorities again started talking about the danger
There are nuclear storage facilities located deep underground. Will there be enough space for everyone? Oleksiy Kuleba, head of the Kyiv Regional Military Administration, answered this question.
16 Dec. 2022More details
Complete blackout in Kyiv: how will pharmacies, subways, pump stations and malls work in the event of a long-term power outage
The mayor of the capital Vitaliy Klitschko told how Kyiv will live and work in the event of a repeated blackout. Find out how shopping networks, markets and public transport will work
16 Dec. 2022More details
How to leave Ukraine: first departure or repeated evacuation
Learn more about current border crossing rules, required documents for adults and children, evacuation routes and renewal of temporary protection status in EU countries
17 Dec. 2022More details
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.